The Abegg Love Letters

To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ; mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. -Jude 1:1


As Regional Leaders with United World Mission, we serve in Latin America to provide support & training to missionaries on the field. We work with Latin Partner Ministries that focus on everything from theological education to medical care, from children’s homes to retirement homes. Our goal is to come along side organizations & amplify their impact for good and the Gospel.

Monday, May 20, 2019

Jeremy's Prayer Letter for PVCC 2019 Costa Rica Missions Trip

Jeremy Abegg
2019 PVCC Costa Rica Missions Trip
5/8/2019

Hello Everyone!

As some of few know, last year I had the privilege of taking three months over the summer to live in Costa Rica and work there with my family as missionaries. My father and mother are currently the UWM (United World Mission) Regional Leaders of Central America and the Caribbean. When my parents accepted the position of regional leaders, we got to spend three months in Costa Rica which is where many of the missionaries in the region are located. During our time there, we visited fellow missionaries as well as partner ministries that are furthering God's good work. While we spent our time there, my family was able to visit old friends from the mission field as well as make many new ones in the region. Though we had to adjust to the culture and learn how to function well in a different environment, the time my family spent there serving God's people was priceless.

One of the families that we got to visit was the Gortemakers, a family of seven working alongside a church in Canñas (pronounced Can-yas), Costa Rica. They are also restoring a run-down camp to be used to equip pastors from all over Costa Rica with sound theology. However, right now this camp is in no condition to house anything except fire ants and scorpions! That is why a team from Palm Vista Community Church (my church) will be traveling to Costa Rica to serve the church in Cañas as well as the Gortmakers. Along with the physical labor at the camp, our team will also host a vacation bible school for the kids, and train people from the church to run a children's ministry during the adult's service on Sundays.
There is, of course, one important item that is needed to make this whole trip work; prayer. None of this can work without God's people praying for provision as well as protection. That is exactly what I'm asking you to do. I ask that during your devotionals or throughout the day, you pray for the safety of the team as we travel and work there. Also, I ask that you would pray for me personally and my limited Spanish, and that God would use me to further the spread of the Gospel even though I do not speak the language well yet.

The purpose of sending this team to Costa Rica is not so that we can do some manual labor and leave feeling like we have fulfilled our service duties. NO! It is ultimately to share the Gospel with those who may not have the opportunity to hear it, whether we do it or help equip others to share. Though you may not have the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica and physically help us in the work the team will be doing, your prayers aid us in witnessing to others and being good witnesses in our labors. So I ask that you take my request for prayer seriously and that you see it as an opportunity to serve the people of God without having to travel to another country.

Please let me know if I can count on you, and if you use the app "What'sApp" and would like to receive updates while we're there, please send me your phone number and let me know. Otherwise, I'll send an update once I'm back.

For more on our family's work as missionaries please visit: www.abeggloveletters.blogspot.com
Also, if you want to know how or three months in Costa Rica went, please visit:

Thank you so much!

Jeremy P. Abegg



2 comments:

California Martinez's said...

So excited for this opportunity, Jeremy! You will learn more Spanish, too, I predict! Joe and I would love to support you in this adventure. Have fun. Kill a few scorpions for me. (I hate them!) :)

Unknown said...

Praying for you and the team Jeremy!