The Abegg Love Letters

To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ; mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. -Jude 1:1


As Regional Leaders with United World Mission, we serve in Latin America to provide support & training to missionaries on the field. We work with Latin Partner Ministries that focus on everything from theological education to medical care, from children’s homes to retirement homes. Our goal is to come along side organizations & amplify their impact for good and the Gospel.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Today I turn 48. 


I’ve been told by many that it’s time to schedule my “MIDLIFE CRISIS". Statistics tell me that there are fewer years ahead on this earth than behind me….fewer years to accomplish what I want to and less time to enjoy what I like before my body runs down and I return to dust. I can see why some at my age buy that over the top car, jump out of a plane or get themselves stretched, stuffed, lifted or tucked. I understand the desire to extend youthful years in hopes of squeezing more out of less years ahead. I enjoyed my youth, and I’m in no way done yet!
However, I will NOT have a mid-life crisis because I KNOW that I’m going to beat those life expectancy statistics before my end. My “mid-life” is still a long, long, LONG way off! Curious yet? Want to know what vitamins I’m taking or exercise regiment I’m on? Here’s the thing, I’M NOT GOING TO DIE…not really.
I’m not "living like there’s no tomorrow”. I choose to live the way I do because THERE IS NO MID-LIFE TO ETERNITY. Some of you have this same certainty. A conviction that what we do today, has eternal value and worth. A knowledge that I don’t have to do everything I want before my body wears out, because we’re promised a NEW BODY in a NEW HEAVEN and NEW EARTH that will not be subject to moth, rust, wear and tear! So, why not just end it now and “get on with the good stuff”? Along with this understanding is a conviction that what we do now, who we care for and share the temporal comforts we’ve been given along with the eternal hope we have, these actions do have a direct effect on what our eternity will look like. We’ve been given this life and the investments we make now in order to reap eternal dividends that are guaranteed! What freedom there is in that! As one of my heroes, Jim Elliot stated: “He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose!” 
In many ways we glorify God by enjoying what He’s blessed us with. But when it comes to the concept of a “mid life crisis” there’s something amiss. If you ever want to talk about this, if your curious to know more about my conviction, please don't hesitate to send me a note, it would be my absolute pleasure (and the best birthday gift ever!).
So, here’s to waiting for “mid-life”.
God bless and thank you all for the birthday wishes!

No comments: